Fall is officially here. I know saying goodbye to summer is hard, but there is a lot to love about fall too. Think sweatshirts, cool sleeping weather, football games, beautiful tree leaf colors, carving pumpkins, holidays, and FALL FOOD! Apples, pumpkin spice, warm dishes, cinnamon, squash, chili, and more, are among the fall classics.
FALL PRODUCE SPOTLIGHT
Fruits and vegetables contain vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients that are both beneficial and important for health. The fall season brings with it a variety of both nutritious and delicious produce to choose from, from sweet potatoes to butternut squash, pears, and figs.
Here are a few highlights from the available fall produce options:
- Pomegranates: Inside the pomegranate are hundreds of edible seeds. These seeds pack a nutrition punch being a source of vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants, and have even been shown to have heart health benefits.
- Pumpkin: Pumpkin is actually a type of winter squash. It is a good source of vitamin A, which has been shown to help strengthen the immune system. Learn more about the nutritional benefits of pumpkin here.
- Acorn Squash: Another variety of winter squash is called acorn squash. One of the best parts about eating this squash variety is the fiber boost. There are about 9 grams of fiber in one cup of baked acorn squash. There are other nutrition benefits too, check out this article to learn more.
Acorn Squash Selection Tips: When selecting an acorn squash look for one that is heavy for its size, smooth, and firm with no soft spots. It should be dark green with a splash of orange or bright yellow.
Other fall favorite produce selections include brussels sprouts, carrots, fennel, pumpkin, beets, cranberries, and apples.
RECIPE ROUND UP
Below I’ve rounded up 36-recipes that were developed and written by registered dietitian nutritionists. I can’t wait to try these recipes out throughout the fall season, and I bet you will love these ideas too. These nutrient-packed recipes are sure to keep you warm and in the fall spirit.
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal from Betsy’s Kitchen
- Apple Pie Chia Pudding from Healthy Grocery Girl
- Kabucha Squash Egg Quiche from The Organic Dietitian
- Sweet Potato Oatmeal Blender Pancakes from Nutritious Eats
- Spiced Parsnip and Apple Baked Oatmeal from It’s a Veg World After All
- Pomegranate Ginger Smoothie from Kara Lydon
- Sweet Potato Lentil Chili from Anne from Fannetastic Food
- Curried Butternut Squash Lentil Soup from Rachel from The Conscious Dietitian
- Quinoa Mushroom Stuffed Acorn Squash from One Hungry Bunny
- Tempeh Sausage Stuffed Squash from Hummusapien
- Winter Squash, Farro, and Pomegranate Salad from Hummusapien
- 3 Bean Veggie Chili from Healthy Grocery Girl
- Sweet and Savory Fall Harvest Bowl from Nutrition a la Natalie
- Pumpkin, Shiitake, and Gruyere Pizza on Cauliflower Crust from Rachel Hartley Nutrition
- Sesame Sweet Potato Noodles from The Organic Dietitian
- Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Chicken from The Lean Green Bean
- Chickpea and Mushroom Stuffed Acorn Squash from Whole Living Lauren
- Turkey Stuffed Delicata Squash from Clara Norfleet
- Fall Harvest Superfood Salad from Nutrition Stripped
- Apple Quinoa Lentil Loaf from Whitney E RD
- Veggie Loaded Turkey Chili from The Real Food RDs
- Simple Citrus and Fennel Salad from Dietitian Debbie Dishes
- Grain-Free Pizza with Sausage and Roasted Squash from The Real Food RDs
- Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup from Rachael’s Good Eats
- Pumpkin Turkey Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles from Once Upon a Pumpkin
- Smoked Brussels Sprouts with Maple Cashew Cream from Eats Real Food
- Riced Broccoli Bowls with Roasted Fall Produce and Apple Cider Vinaigrette from It’s a Veg World After All
- Apple Cider Brussels Sprouts from It’s a Veg World After All
- Herb Roasted Potatoes and Vegetables with Pumpkin Seed Vinaigrette from Nutritious Eats
Desserts and Snacks
- Pumpkin Pie Peanut Butter Cups from The Lean Green Bean
- Cranberry Pumpkin Granola Bars from Sara Haas RDN
- Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites from Simply Taylor
- Homemade Apple Butter and Pumpkin Butter from Nutrition Stripped
- Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Bread from The Real Food RDs
- Decadent Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes from Rachael’s Food Eats
- Grassfed Beef Bone Broth from Ali Miller RD
Do you have any fall favorite recipes? Share them in the comments below.